Becoming a Reliable Narrator

 I saw a meme the other day in my social media feed that stated:

                        "I always trust the next chapter because I know the author".

I made sure to capture the image, as it made me stop and think do I trust my next chapter? 

Being the author of our personal stories is not an easy job.  Despite the feeling at times that life happens to us and we are along for the ride, we are constantly making microdecisions and choices that may seem insignificant, but carry larger ripples.  Often, the outcome of those ripples does not show itself until many chapters have passed, and we may have even forgotten all about what led us to where we have landed.  

Some plot twists we are absolutely in control of, and are conscious decisions we make either in the heat of the moment or after a long, slow burn brings a big change in our lives that we may or may not feel ready to explore.  The type of trust it takes to navigate through uncertainty is deep and can feel elusive at times.

Getting to a place of trusting what comes next is all about believing that we are reliable narrators and creators of our own destiny.  Without that deeply held belief, there will always be a twinge of doubt and uncertainty as we move through our lives.  Even when we come to a place of self-trust and belief, I think those moments of doubt are important to notice, because they provide just enough of a pause to consider where we are and where we are headed, ensuring the path ahead still feels authentic.  Authentic and clear are two different things - I think that staying true to ourselves trumps the overall clarity of knowing exactly where we are headed in life.  And honestly, can we ever truly know where we are going, anyway?  

Trusting the author of our story comes with time and is strengthened through taking chances and accepting that sometimes the outcome is what we desire, and other times, it is not.  Holding ourselves with grace and understanding when our decisions do not lead to the outcomes we are looking for is all part of the process toward knowing ourselves better. With that knowledge, we begin to make choices and write chapters that better reflect who we are and how we would like our story to unfold. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go

Finding Peace in the Unknown

Sometimes, We Need Reminding