The Art and Science of Life
Over the past few years, I have been working toward my BA in Psychology, taking courses through a distance-learning program. It's been interesting and challenging to return to school as a mature student, and I have enjoyed the learning curve (for the most part). When I was in high school, I completed my mandatory science credits by the end of my second year and did not feel compelled to pursue further study. Instead, I focused my mind on more arts-based courses, such as English and music.
Fast-forward thirty years, and I find myself immersed in courses that are very science-based, with no option but to embrace this discipline. What I discovered is that despite my many misgivings, I quite enjoy the scientific method of looking at things. I like the very fact-based and logical lens that science has us look through. Lately I've been thinking about how I can apply some of these same principles to my life as I examine the direction I'm moving toward.
Scientific theories are based on the premise that there will always be room for new information to replace what we already know and believe to be true. Science is always looking to improve itself by falsifying prior experimental results and opening the door to new ideas. What would happen if we looked at our lives in the same manner, with an eye to challenging what we have accepted as the status quo and creating space for new options to emerge?
I also love the practice of validating ideas that have previously been accepted as true. It feels so comfortable to feel like you've figured out a future goal or destination, and sometimes I think that comfort can outweigh the desire to check in and ensure that the original plan we had in mind still resonates with the person we are evolving to become. It's natural for us to outgrow ideas and beliefs, yet we often find ourselves holding on to them because it feels uncomfortable to challenge these long-standing definitions of who we are.
As with anything, there needs to be a balance: we need to find a way to both challenge our previously held ideas and settle into times of working toward the path we have laid out for ourselves. Otherwise, we will be stuck in a groove of constantly looking to refine and improve, yet never actually making any progress at all. Perhaps the discipline here is to remain open to that inner voice that often lets us know when it is time to reevaluate and recalibrate to better align with where we find ourselves. It's not about being right or wrong, it is about self-awareness and growth.
Comments
Post a Comment