What is strength, anyways?

Strength is one of those words that can mean different things to different people.  For some, it may conjure images of muscle-bound bodybuilders or sinewy ultra runners who travel farther on foot than many of us care to drive.  For others, it brings to mind character traits that are more internal than external.

I found myself contemplating what strength means to me as I rode my bike home from the gym one day last week.  I've started riding more this season and find myself hopping on my city bike to get to and from the gym when time allows.  I love the feeling of freedom I have on my bike, and it doesn't hurt that the way to the gym includes a lovely downhill section.  Of course, what that means is that there's an equally steep climb to conquer on the way home, post-workout.  

As I started the climb, my legs began to question my bike-riding logic, and I quietly reminded myself that I am strong and capable and would make it up the hill.  That's when I started to wonder what strength actually meant to me, and came up with the following list:

    - strength is putting yourself first, regardless of the nagging voice that tells you it's selfish to do so

    - strength is committing to a goal and honouring yourself by showing up as fully as you can to move     towards it, even when those steps may seem microscopic

    - strength is being afraid of what's under the bed and peering under anyways, knowing the monsters        you imagine are always worse than the ones you will find there

    - strength is acknowledging and taking ownership of your missteps and authentically committing to         not repeat them

    - strength is pausing before passing judgment on others; assumptions come quickly while empathy         takes time

    - strength is getting quiet; it is so easy to speak over others to drown out their truth with your voice.           It is harder to be quiet and intentionally listen to a differing point of view.  You may still not agree,         but you will leave with a better understanding of what is being said

    - strength is holding space for a loved one when they are hurting, giving all of the time and attention     required to help healing take place

    - strength is being unapologetically yourself because you cannot be anyone else. In fact, allowing             yourself the ability to simply be might be one of the strongest acts of self-love there is

As I came to the top of the hill, breathing hard and feeling proud, I also felt a desire to hold onto these ideas and characteristics. While building and maintaining physical strength has been a long-standing goal of mine, I know that embodying these attributes will carry me farther in life than any of my muscles ever will. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go

Finding Peace in the Unknown

Sometimes, We Need Reminding